[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Pushes 9.0.1 Fixer Update to SHIELD TV Units

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 02:07:14 UTC 2022

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 5:57 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> FYI, for any Shield users out there.
>

> https://www.droid-life.com/2022/02/15/nvidia-pushes-9-0-1-fixer-update-to-shield-tv-units/amp/
>
> Nvidia claims the stuttering problem with interface content is fixed.
> That's probably one of the biggest issues for MythTV users.  Has
> anyone tried the 9.0.1 fix yet?
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

Yes, I installed it this afternoon... I had held off installing the 9.0
upgrade for about a week but my brother who didn't know any better
installed the 9.0 upgrade last week.

When watching the superbowl over the weekend, the stuttering problem became
really evident. And even on recordings that were not as action packed as a
football game I could tell there was a stuttering issue.

I could tell that the audio wasn't aligned with the movement of the
speaker's mouths, and had been trying to correct it by manipulating the
audio sync, but never was able to get it right.

Today I installed the 9.01 update, and it's much better. I haven't seen any
stuttering, which was obvious when I was recording and watching the
superbowl on Sunday... it was so bad I switched to using leanfront, which
as folks were saying, was working a lot better.

I am not convinced that the audio sync issue is entirely correct still, but
I think because I've been looking at it so hard I am no longer able to tell
when it's exactly right... However, it is definitely much improved, and the
stuttering problem is definitely alleviated with the update.

I am using v31  64bit build on the shield. It's on our one 4k TV. On
another TV I am using google chromecast  with google TV, and on that one I
am using the 32 bit build of the frontend (v31). No issues except
occasional segmentation faults on those.

Good luck!