[mythtv-users] The Olympics has destroyed my video

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:58:55 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 9:41 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 09:04:23AM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > > That sounds like the infamous, Nvidia, mpeg2 bug.  Are you seeing this
> > > only on your local, NBC station or on USA and CNBC too?  If it is the
> > > Nvidia bug, your only recourse is live with it or switch to one of the
> > > OpenGL profiles.  You might also need to increase the number of CPUs
> > > in the profile to 4.
> >
> > I see this on NBC which is 1080i but not on ABC which is 720p. I don't
> have
> > cable so do not get these other stations.
> >
> > I only have 2 CPU cores.
> >
> > VDPAU only is a problem if something is moving fast. There is no issue
> just
> > watching talking heads. It is actually reasonably rare but when it
> happens
> > it is very disturbing. I think on one of the 4 minute skating routines it
> > happened twice. But it is terrible. The tearing in SLIM, on the other
> hand,
> > happens all the time when anything moves but it is not terrible.
>
> It's almost certainly the Nvidia bug.  What is the callsign of your
> NBC station?  Set the number of CPUs to 2, then, instead of 4.  What
> CPU do you have?  You said AMD 5400.  Is that a Ryzen 3 5400U?
> Software decoding (which is what the OpenGL profiles use) should still
> work fine for mpeg2 on any modern CPU.  Whatever, you'll eventuall
> want to create a custom profile which uses OpenGL for mpeg2 and VDPAU
> for everything else.
>
> David

@Dave:
cpuinfo shows this:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ Might not be considered a
modern CPU.
The Station is KNTV local channel 11 and actual channel 13.

I selected OpenGL High Quality and once I set the CPU to 2 it is working
fine in my first group of tests. Previous tests did not work but I probably
had not set the CPU to 2 as I changed a few profiles this morning. Watching
for hours tonight will be the real test but so far I am pretty optimistic.

CPU usage in Top is showing in the 40 to 60% range. I actually don't know
if the total CPU available is 100% or 200% but regardless it seems to have
some headroom.

In terms of setting up a custom profile is that like vdpau for 720 and
opengl for 1080? That is done on the profile screen by adding a second
criteria. If it is something else, let me know. For now I am going to test
openGL and if it works for 1080 it should work for 720 I would think
although perhaps more CPU power.

@Jay:
I am running Mythbuntu 16 out of the box more or less. The computer doesn't
do anything else. I assume it does not have compositing but if I have to
turn something off, please let me know how. No vnc.

Allen