[mythtv-users] The Olympics has destroyed my video

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Feb 10 17:41:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 09:04:23AM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > That sounds like the infamous, Nvidia, mpeg2 bug.  Are you seeing this
> > only on your local, NBC station or on USA and CNBC too?  If it is the
> > Nvidia bug, your only recourse is live with it or switch to one of the
> > OpenGL profiles.  You might also need to increase the number of CPUs
> > in the profile to 4.
>
> I see this on NBC which is 1080i but not on ABC which is 720p. I don't have
> cable so do not get these other stations.
>
> I only have 2 CPU cores.
>
> VDPAU only is a problem if something is moving fast. There is no issue just
> watching talking heads. It is actually reasonably rare but when it happens
> it is very disturbing. I think on one of the 4 minute skating routines it
> happened twice. But it is terrible. The tearing in SLIM, on the other hand,
> happens all the time when anything moves but it is not terrible.

It's almost certainly the Nvidia bug.  What is the callsign of your
NBC station?  Set the number of CPUs to 2, then, instead of 4.  What
CPU do you have?  You said AMD 5400.  Is that a Ryzen 3 5400U?
Software decoding (which is what the OpenGL profiles use) should still
work fine for mpeg2 on any modern CPU.  Whatever, you'll eventuall
want to create a custom profile which uses OpenGL for mpeg2 and VDPAU
for everything else.

David
--
David Engel