[mythtv-users] The Olympics has destroyed my video

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:04:23 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 08:22:25AM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > My system dates back to my install of Mythbuntu 16 in 2018. With the help
> > of many in this group, I got it working well. It is an AMD 2.8GHz 5400
> > with 6GB memory and a GeForce GTX750 Ti video card. I am driving one of
> two
> > 1080 display which share a single output using a HDMI splitter.
> >
> > I was using VDPAU with 2 CPU set and Deblocking filter checked.Primary
> > deinterlacer is Advanced (2X,HW) and backup is 1X, HW.
> >
> > When there is fast motion, like a speed skater or ice skater, the picture
> > breaks up particularly around the athlete. This lasts for about 3 seconds
> > and basically makes it unwatchable. I have had to switch to SLIM and
> > with that I get artifacts I think are called tearing which annoy me but
> the
> > wife is happy so that is where it is.
> >
> > The artifacts are not in the source material and not due to the long
> cable
> > to the projector as I can see it on the TV and the projector.
>
> That sounds like the infamous, Nvidia, mpeg2 bug.  Are you seeing this
> only on your local, NBC station or on USA and CNBC too?  If it is the
> Nvidia bug, your only recourse is live with it or switch to one of the
> OpenGL profiles.  You might also need to increase the number of CPUs
> in the profile to 4.
>
> David

I see this on NBC which is 1080i but not on ABC which is 720p. I don't have
cable so do not get these other stations.

I only have 2 CPU cores.

VDPAU only is a problem if something is moving fast. There is no issue just
watching talking heads. It is actually reasonably rare but when it happens
it is very disturbing. I think on one of the 4 minute skating routines it
happened twice. But it is terrible. The tearing in SLIM, on the other hand,
happens all the time when anything moves but it is not terrible.

Allen