[mythtv-users] The Olympics has destroyed my video

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 16:22:25 UTC 2022

My system dates back to my install of Mythbuntu 16 in 2018. With the help
of many in this group, I got it working well. It is an AMD 2.8GHz 5400
with 6GB memory and a GeForce GTX750 Ti video card. I am driving one of two
1080 display which share a single output using a HDMI splitter.

I was using VDPAU with 2 CPU set and Deblocking filter checked.Primary
deinterlacer is Advanced (2X,HW) and backup is 1X, HW.

When there is fast motion, like a speed skater or ice skater, the picture
breaks up particularly around the athlete. This lasts for about 3 seconds
and basically makes it unwatchable. I have had to switch to SLIM and
with that I get artifacts I think are called tearing which annoy me but the
wife is happy so that is where it is.

The artifacts are not in the source material and not due to the long cable
to the projector as I can see it on the TV and the projector.

The Olympics are broadcast in 1080i. I had a lot of trouble setting this
system up but it worked fine for 3+ years although most of our viewing is
from 720p source (ABC).

I have tried most of the options and others either give worse tearing or
still have the breakup.

I could use a bit of help. I hesitate to try the thing I have in mind which
is to just switch to 720p for the displays. Seems a shame to take 1080i,
convert it to 720p, then let the projector convert it to 4K but I don't
know what else to do. It would be great to fix this before the Super Bowl.

The other thought is I wonder if there are better deciders but as I am
using hardware I doubt that is an option.

Allen