[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 02:06:16 UTC 2022

On 4/22/22 20:54, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 04:25:45PM -0700, DryHeat122 wrote:
>      > On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>>
>      > wrote:
>      >
>      > > On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > >
>      > > > But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right
>      > > channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....
>      > >
>      > > Well, yes, and no.  ScheduleDirect gets the
>      > > channel numbers from the provider (well,
>      > > SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
>      > > gets the data from the provider, which goes
>      > > downstream to SchedulesDirect).  *Some*
>      > > providers provide the updated channels
>      > > proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
>      > > their customers.  *Some* do not (although
>      > > when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
>      > > gets created it gets fixed, eventually).
>      > >
>      > > If the provider is not proactive, you will
>      > > need to open a lineup ticket with
>      > > SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
>      > > ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
>      > > numbers updated.  Typically your
>      > > provider will include the changes on your
>      > > bill in the additional information section
>      > > (the part most never read (FD: I read
>      > > those sections)), and you should review
>      > > that part of your past bills to add info
>      > > to the lineup ticket to get everything
>      > > updated.
>      > >
>      > > mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
>      > > may attempt to add new channels.
>      > > Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
>      > > not so much.
>      > >
>      > > There is also a 3rd party utility documented
>      > > on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
>      > > the premier xmltv grabber for the json
>      > > SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
>      > > to automatically correct the
>      > > channel/xmltvid/name values when
>      > > Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
>      > > new data.  I regularly (about once every
>      > > other month) use that 3rd party utility to
>      > > check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
>      > > lineup with my MythTV configuration.
>      > > Highly recommended.
>      > >
>      > > Which is the 3rd party utility you refer to?  I have checked with
>
>     https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil <https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil>
>
>      > SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had for
>      > a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
>      > scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV?  Or is
>      > the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
> [...]

Maybe this will help:

The idea is to run tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as user mythtv (assuming that's the user
that the backend runs as). Then the additional files will look similar to this:

   https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508

You'll see there that two .xmltv files were created, but both use the same sqlite DB.

--
Bill