[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 01:54:42 UTC 2022

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 04:25:45PM -0700, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup,
> or....
> > >
> > > Well, yes, and no.  ScheduleDirect gets the
> > > channel numbers from the provider (well,
> > > SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
> > > gets the data from the provider, which goes
> > > downstream to SchedulesDirect).  *Some*
> > > providers provide the updated channels
> > > proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
> > > their customers.  *Some* do not (although
> > > when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
> > > gets created it gets fixed, eventually).
> > >
> > > If the provider is not proactive, you will
> > > need to open a lineup ticket with
> > > SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
> > > ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
> > > numbers updated.  Typically your
> > > provider will include the changes on your
> > > bill in the additional information section
> > > (the part most never read (FD: I read
> > > those sections)), and you should review
> > > that part of your past bills to add info
> > > to the lineup ticket to get everything
> > > updated.
> > >
> > > mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
> > > may attempt to add new channels.
> > > Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
> > > not so much.
> > >
> > > There is also a 3rd party utility documented
> > > on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
> > > the premier xmltv grabber for the json
> > > SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
> > > to automatically correct the
> > > channel/xmltvid/name values when
> > > Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
> > > new data.  I regularly (about once every
> > > other month) use that 3rd party utility to
> > > check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
> > > lineup with my MythTV configuration.
> > > Highly recommended.
> > >
> > > Which is the 3rd party utility you refer to?  I have checked with
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil
>
> > SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had
> for
> > a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
> > scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV?  Or
> is
> > the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
> > that is the problem, is there a way to automatically fix those, or do I
> > need to delete and re-create the recording rules?
>
> MythTV doesn't autmatically add/delete/move channels.  There are plans
> to improve things some day but developers and round tuits are in short
> supply.  Until things improve, there is the aforementioned MythUtil
> and the --do-channel-updates and --only-update-channels that can be
> used with mythfilldatabase.  If you use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite,
> MythUtil is by far the better choice.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

So in an effort to clear out all the old channels and start over, I decided
to re-configure the xmltv grabber. I went through the steps on the wiki,
and when I went to run mythfilldatabase when I got to the channels for
every one it I got an error  "unknown xmltv channel identifier: Ixxxxx.json,
schedulesdirect.org - skipping channel."  What causes that?

I also am not sure I used the correct config file names in re-running the
configuration because of two confusing file-namings in the wiki.  First, it
says to run

tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv

replacing YYYY with the video source name. But I have two video sources, a
hdpvr and a hdhr.  Does that mean I have to do this procedure twice, once
for each video source?

Second, later under Setup with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite it recommends
config file name: --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv  Is that a different
filename from  $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv?  If so, and if I have to run the
procedure for each source, do both sources use $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv for
as the second config file for it too?

Finally, if I start over on this should I go in and delete any existing
$HOME/.mythtv/*.xmltv files, or can I just leave them alone?

Thanks....

Steve