[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:25:45 UTC 2022

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right
> channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....
>
> Well, yes, and no.  ScheduleDirect gets the
> channel numbers from the provider (well,
> SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
> gets the data from the provider, which goes
> downstream to SchedulesDirect).  *Some*
> providers provide the updated channels
> proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
> their customers.  *Some* do not (although
> when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
> gets created it gets fixed, eventually).
>
> If the provider is not proactive, you will
> need to open a lineup ticket with
> SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
> ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
> numbers updated.  Typically your
> provider will include the changes on your
> bill in the additional information section
> (the part most never read (FD: I read
> those sections)), and you should review
> that part of your past bills to add info
> to the lineup ticket to get everything
> updated.
>
> mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
> may attempt to add new channels.
> Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
> not so much.
>
> There is also a 3rd party utility documented
> on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
> the premier xmltv grabber for the json
> SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
> to automatically correct the
> channel/xmltvid/name values when
> Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
> new data.  I regularly (about once every
> other month) use that 3rd party utility to
> check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
> lineup with my MythTV configuration.
> Highly recommended.
>
> Which is the 3rd party utility you refer to?  I have checked with
SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had for
a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV?  Or is
the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
that is the problem, is there a way to automatically fix those, or do I
need to delete and re-create the recording rules?