[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 03:54:28 UTC 2022

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....

Well, yes, and no.  ScheduleDirect gets the
channel numbers from the provider (well,
SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
gets the data from the provider, which goes
downstream to SchedulesDirect).  *Some*
providers provide the updated channels
proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
their customers.  *Some* do not (although
when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
gets created it gets fixed, eventually).

If the provider is not proactive, you will
need to open a lineup ticket with
SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
numbers updated.  Typically your
provider will include the changes on your
bill in the additional information section
(the part most never read (FD: I read
those sections)), and you should review
that part of your past bills to add info
to the lineup ticket to get everything
updated.

mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
may attempt to add new channels.
Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
not so much.

There is also a 3rd party utility documented
on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
the premier xmltv grabber for the json
SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
to automatically correct the
channel/xmltvid/name values when
Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
new data.  I regularly (about once every
other month) use that 3rd party utility to
check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
lineup with my MythTV configuration.
Highly recommended.