[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database (again)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 07:34:58 UTC 2021

> >Could you please advise how I can change the MySQL settings to accept
> older
> >auth methods?
>
> It looks like you need to do this to the MySQL server config:
>
> [mysqld]
> default_authentication_plugin=mysql_native_password
>

> I am running MariaDB these days, so I can not test that setting, but I
> think all you need to do is to put those lines in a new file in
> /etc/mysql/conf.d.  Call it "old_auth.cnf" for example.  The file
> should be "chown root:root" and "chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r".  Then restart
> mysqld:
>
> sudo systemctl restart mysqld
>
> This problem should only have happened if you have installed MySQL
> version >=8 and then created users for MythTV.  If you created the
> MySQL users for MythTV on an older version of MySQL and then upgraded
> MySQL to v8 it should have retained the older auth settings for all
> the existing users.
>
> It should also be possible to change the auth setting per user back to
> the old method:
>
> ALTER USER <user>
>   IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password
>   BY '<password>';
>
> You may need to do the ALTER USER command or delete and re-create the
> user for the CGTV device even though you have added that config file
> as new users created on v8+ get the then current default
> authentication setting, which was "caching_sha2_password" at the time
> that user was created.

Thanks Stephen. I tried what you suggested and changed the MySQL settings
but the Chomecast with Google TV still wouldn't connect. So I dropped the
user account in MySQL and re-created it. Still no joy - even though the PC
sitting right next to it on the same subnet connects without problems.

I also contacted the developer of the mythtvfrontend Android app and
relayed your theory to him. He was very helpful and tried installing and
connecting and it all worked fine for him. After his testing he said "So it
is not an incompatibility with mysql or with recent versions that is
causing the problem".

I've also tried to install a MySQL client on the device. But there's only
one I could find, and it doesn't work on Google TV because the UI won't let
you create a connection database using a remote control. The developer is
going to address that in the next release but I have no idea when that will
be.

So I'm now even more stumped than I was before.