[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 3 17:07:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:14:14 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi Stephen,
>
>Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>>Hoi Stephen,
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>>>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>>>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>>>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>>>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>>>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>>>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>>>mythtv internal player.
>
>> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs.  But I
>> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
>> DVDs I have ripped.  I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
>> necessarily have noticed problems with them.
>
>>>I see several posibilities:
>>>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>>>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
>>>  in. Then the color is ok.
>>>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
>>>  I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
>>>  they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>>>- look into possibilities with makemkv
>
>> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
>> MythTV box using it:
>
>> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
>> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> | value                          | data                             | hostname |
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> | VCDPlayerCommand               | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr  |
>> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s         | crw-pvr  |
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)
>
>> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.
>
>Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
>%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
>look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
>mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

I have been using mplayer since well before 0.27, so that is not the
problem.  I have mplayer set up with lirc - it is configured the same
way as mythfrontend.  See if you have a $(HOME)/.lirc/mplayer file
alongside your $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file.

>The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
>container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
>transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

See if you can extract the subtitles to a .idx text file.  In that
format you should have full control of how they display using the
headers at the start of the file.

>I haven't jet tried if makemkv sees the picture galleries, but I have
>little hope. It seems they are hidden somewhere outside any default
>structure. Maybe even as frames of a movie.

Yes, picture galleries can be done as video files with very low frame
rates, such as one frame per 20 seconds.