[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 16:14:14 UTC 2021

Hoi Stephen,

Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
> [snip]
>>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>>mythtv internal player.

> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs.  But I
> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
> DVDs I have ripped.  I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
> necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>>I see several posibilities:
>>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
>>  in. Then the color is ok.
>>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
>>  I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
>>  they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>>- look into possibilities with makemkv

> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
> MythTV box using it:

> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> | value                          | data                             | hostname |
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> | VCDPlayerCommand               | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr  |
> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s         | crw-pvr  |
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)

> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.

Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

I haven't jet tried if makemkv sees the picture galleries, but I have
little hope. It seems they are hidden somewhere outside any default
structure. Maybe even as frames of a movie.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop