[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 3 02:57:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi Stephen,

[snip]
>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>mythtv internal player.

Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs.  But I
have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
DVDs I have ripped.  I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>I see several posibilities:
>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
>  in. Then the color is ok.
>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
>  I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
>  they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>- look into possibilities with makemkv

I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
MythTV box using it:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
'%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
| value                          | data                                             | hostname |
| VCDPlayerCommand               | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr  |
| mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s                         | crw-pvr  |