[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:49:02 UTC 2021

Hoi Stephen,

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:12:14 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
>>Thursday, September 2, 2021, 3:33:12 AM, you wrote:

>>> I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
>>> - it does handle picture galleries.  What it does is to just make a
>>> copy of the DVD, with all its structure present.  It does no
>>> transcoding or changing of the container format.  Handbrake extracts
>>> the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
>>> changes the container.  That always has the ability to create
>>> problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
>>> one.  I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
>>> same thing.
>>
>>You mean like cpvts which in essence just copies the VIDEO_TS
>>directory from the dvd to disk?
>>
>>How then do you watch? You this way cannot import it into the mythtv
>>video database. You have vlc or so on your frontend machines to watch
>>these? It will be tricky to make selections between the different
>>image with just a remote.

> Yes, it just copies the DVD to disk, file by file.  Mythfrontend can
> play a VIDEO_TS directory - just put all the files from one somewhere
> in a subdirectory of your video directories and try it out.  As I
> understand it, mythfrontend will treat any directory it finds a
> VIDEO_TS.IFO file in as a DVD image directory.  Or you can easily use
> a program like ImgBurn (Windows again) to convert the VIDEO_TS
> directory to a .iso file.  I am sure there are Linux commands to do
> that too, but I have only one BD drive and it is on my main Windows
> box, so I normally rip optical disks there.

> I have never heard of cpvts before, but on looking it up, it only
> copies one title from a DVD, not the entire DVD.  Complex DVDs often
> have multiple titles, sometimes one per scene, for example.  Or there
> may be effectively two shorter movies on one DVD, with one title each.

> For unencrypted DVDs you can just copy the files, or use the Linux
> "readom" (read optical media) command to read the entire disk in as a
> .iso file.  Readom does reasonable error detection and correction, so
> it is a good option for reading optical disks.

I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
had orange subtitles in mythtv.
My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
mythtv internal player.

I see several posibilities:
- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
  in. Then the color is ok.
- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
  I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
  they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
- look into possibilities with makemkv

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven