[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 12:34:41 UTC 2021

Hoi Stephen,

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:14:14 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
>>Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>
>>> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs.  But I
>>> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
>>> DVDs I have ripped.  I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
>>> necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>>> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
>>> MythTV box using it:
>>
>>> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
>>> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> | value                          | data                             | hostname |
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> | VCDPlayerCommand               | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr  |
>>> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s         | crw-pvr  |
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)
>>
>>> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.
>>
>>Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
>>%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
>>look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
>>mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

> I have been using mplayer since well before 0.27, so that is not the
> problem.  I have mplayer set up with lirc - it is configured the same
> way as mythfrontend.  See if you have a $(HOME)/.lirc/mplayer file
> alongside your $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file.

I get the error "XMLParseBase: Parent is NULL". As I see this on all
my frontends, I guess it is a bug in the gentoo ebuild for mythplugin
and that a compilation modifier is missing so it can not find the
variables.

Any hint would be welcome (it is still 0.27, but as I understand
mythvideo has barely changed since then)

>>The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
>>container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
>>transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

> See if you can extract the subtitles to a .idx text file.  In that
> format you should have full control of how they display using the
> headers at the start of the file.

Ok, The incompatibility is between the internal player and the
handbrake native .m4v container format.

I first created a matroska file without the subtitles and then
inserted adapted subvob files into it using MKVToolNix. A great tool
for manipulating matroska files. But as soon as I transcoded it with
handbrake it was broken again.

Luckily I discovered handbrake can also use the matroska (.mkv)
container format. On second try I even discovered that then I do not
need to adapt the subvobs. Just ripping strait from dvd to matroska
works OK!

It's a pity Mythvideo does not read the name field for the audio or
subvob streams in the matroska container. With MKVToolNix I can edit
them to contain more then language or stereo to contain the type of
commentary in that stream.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven