[mythtv-users] Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick

John jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 12:02:30 UTC 2021

On 02/10/2021 23:37, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net
> <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>     > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my
>     Nvidia Shield
>     > for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
>     SlingTV to
>     > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
>     local NHL team
>     > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
>     instead of the
>     > Nvidia Shield.
>     >
>     > This is not a problem except for the performance of the
>     Mythfrontend app on
>     > the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded
>     programs that
>     > were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the
>     FireTV 4K, it is
>     > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
>     >
>     > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app
>     on the FireTV
>     > 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
>     seconds. I don't
>     > see this with recorded programs.
>     >
>     > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31
>     for the FireTV
>     > 4K stick?
>
>     You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
>     (https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
>     <https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price>).
>     Faster CPUs and more memory will help.  Also, using the simplest,
>     plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>
>     David
>     --
>     David Engel
>     david at istwok.net <mailto:david at istwok.net>
>

> Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0
> switch. It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5 inputs
> used. FireTV 4k, Nvidia Shield,  RPI4. Blu-ray player, and Linux PC.
>
> There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple
> enough that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.
>
> Jim A.

I have noticed that the frontend is now no good on the F4K. This is new
for me it used to be fine. The change is I think at their end.

I run v32 of mythfrontend with 1080p 50Hz so my experience may be
different to yours, playback on F4K is now subject to tearing which it
did not a few months ago.

Leanfront is still excellent.

I am expecting a FireTV stick Max this week will see what happens.

By the way getting issues (periodically hangs video - audio continues)
with Leanfront on a Firestick Lite which also used to work but was
always very slow so cannot be recommended.