[mythtv-users] Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 22:37:15 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my Nvidia Shield
> > for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from SlingTV
> > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my local NHL
> team
> > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks instead of the
> > Nvidia Shield.
> >
> > This is not a problem except for the performance of the Mythfrontend app
> on
> > the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded programs that
> > were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the FireTV 4K, it
> is
> > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
> >
> > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app on the
> FireTV
> > 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several seconds. I
> don't
> > see this with recorded programs.
> >
> > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31 for the
> FireTV
> > 4K stick?
>
> You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
> (
> https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
> ).
> Faster CPUs and more memory will help.  Also, using the simplest,
> plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0 switch.
It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5 inputs used. FireTV
4k, Nvidia Shield,  RPI4. Blu-ray player, and Linux PC.

There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple enough
that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.

Jim A.