[mythtv-users] Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 13:57:12 UTC 2021

On 10/3/21 8:02 AM, John wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 23:37, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net
>> <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>     > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my
>>     Nvidia Shield
>>     > for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
>>     SlingTV to
>>     > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
>>     local NHL team
>>     > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
>>     instead of the
>>     > Nvidia Shield.
>>     >
>>     > This is not a problem except for the performance of the
>>     Mythfrontend app on
>>     > the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded
>>     programs that
>>     > were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the
>>     FireTV 4K, it is
>>     > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
>>     >
>>     > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app
>>     on the FireTV
>>     > 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
>>     seconds. I don't
>>     > see this with recorded programs.
>>     >
>>     > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31
>>     for the FireTV
>>     > 4K stick?
>>
>>     You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
>>     (https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
>>     <https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price>).
>>     Faster CPUs and more memory will help.  Also, using the simplest,
>>     plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>>
>>     David
>>     --
>>     David Engel
>>     david at istwok.net <mailto:david at istwok.net>
>>

>> Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0
>> switch. It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5
>> inputs used. FireTV 4k, Nvidia Shield,  RPI4. Blu-ray player, and
>> Linux PC.
>>
>> There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple
>> enough that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.
>>
>> Jim A.

> I have noticed that the frontend is now no good on the F4K. This is
> new for me it used to be fine. The change is I think at their end.
>
> I run v32 of mythfrontend with 1080p 50Hz so my experience may be
> different to yours, playback on F4K is now subject to tearing which it
> did not a few months ago.
>
> Leanfront is still excellent.
>
> I am expecting a FireTV stick Max this week will see what happens.
>
> By the way getting issues (periodically hangs video - audio continues)
> [...]

I only have the standard FireTV 4K stick and all my programs are ATSC
1.0 OTA either 1080i at 30Hz or 720p at 60Hz MPEG-2. For recorded playback,
the mythfrontend is very watchable for us except in very high action
sequences. But if it's recorded we normally just use Leanfront since
it's damn near perfect.  I use mythfrontend for editing and setting up
scheduled recordings. It's much easier for that.

What leanfront doesn't do well is watching a program while it's being
recorded. I've found for a long time that if I start watching an NFL
football game 30 minutes after it started recording it works until I
start trying to skip a commercial. It sometimes goes backwards after it
adjust the end time which changes after you pass the 30 minutes in my
case mentioned above. I have not found anything in the adb log that
tells me anything useful.  That's one reason I use mythfrontend for
watching behind real-time on a recording.

Jim A