[mythtv-users] Default template editing

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:18:08 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 9:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:17:13 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >The first thing I normally do is edit the Default recording template to
> >not do Commercial Detection.
> >
> >When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
> >backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
> >transcoding jobs.
> >
> >That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I
> >can't find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.
> >
> >I guess I could ssh -X jim at mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit
> >the template??
>
> You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
> files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend.  I have
> three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:
>
> root at mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20  2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  623 May  7  2016 config.xml.lith
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml.mypvr
>
> The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
> are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box.  To switch, I just
> copy the right one:
>
> copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml
>
> and to switch back to normal operation:
>
> copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml
>
> I believe you can also specify the config.xml file on the mythfrontend
> command line, but I prefer to do the above as I find it easier.
>
> To get a working config.xml file for another backend, just copy one
> from a frontend that works with that backend, then check the <Host>
> field - if it is set to localhost, change it to the correct IP address
> or DNS name.

Thanks for the tip.  Instead of all the switching of config.xml files, I
think I'd prefer to just ssh -X from my Linux laptop. That works, but It
would be better for me to have an option in mythweb.  In webfrontend there
is a place to edit the default template in the edit recording rules, but
when you click on it it doesn't display anything.

In practice I usually have a frontend handy that can run mythfrontend and
edit recording rules, but today I was a few rooms apart from the backend
and the only frontend convenient was a FireTV that had not been setup with
mythfrontend yet.

Problem solved, but I'd vote for mythweb or webfrontend to have that
feature.

Jim A