[mythtv-users] Default template editing

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 17 13:04:53 UTC 2021

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:17:13 -0400, you wrote:

>The first thing I normally do is edit the Default recording template to
>not do Commercial Detection.
>
>When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
>backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
>transcoding jobs.
>
>That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I
>can't find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.
>
>I guess I could ssh -X jim at mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit
>the template??

You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend.  I have
three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:

root at mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20  2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  623 May  7  2016 config.xml.lith
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml.mypvr

The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box.  To switch, I just
copy the right one:

copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml

and to switch back to normal operation:

copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml

I believe you can also specify the config.xml file on the mythfrontend
command line, but I prefer to do the above as I find it easier.

To get a working config.xml file for another backend, just copy one
from a frontend that works with that backend, then check the <Host>
field - if it is set to localhost, change it to the correct IP address
or DNS name.