[mythtv-users] Default template editing

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Jun 21 09:03:02 UTC 2021

> You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
> files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend.  I have
> three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:
>
> root at mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20  2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  623 May  7  2016 config.xml.lith
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen  629 May 26  2019 config.xml.mypvr
>
> The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
> are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box.  To switch, I just
> copy the right one:
>
> copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml
>
> and to switch back to normal operation:
>
> copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml

It's even easier than that.

Set the environment variable MYTHCONFDIR to point to the
directory where the config file lives.

I then wrap setting the environment variable and starting
the frontend in a script so it's automatic :)

As an example, I have the master branch installed, and I
have 2 different frontend scripts, with the suffixes
'-git' and '-test'. One points to a remote backend where
I have actual tuners, and the other points to a backend
on localhost, so I can do easy development.

Regards
Stuart