[mythtv-users] Rasberry Pi 4 - New FE

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 08:40:47 UTC 2021

> > I've just got a new Rasberry Pi 4 as a Frontend only.  The wiki has been
> > useful source of information and I've had mixed success.
> >
> > Im currently running an up to date Rasberry Pi OS lite with the Myth TV
> > Light packages.
> >
> > I'm getting lots of segfaults.  Running myth frontend with -v all doesn't
> > yield anything that useful. It seems to be just after EDID exchange. It
> > segfaults loading mythfrontend 9 times out of 10. No idea why sometimes
> it
> > works and sometimes it doesn't.  Any suggestions welcome on how to
> resolve
> > this?
>
> I am using a Raspberry Pi 400 with 4 GB as a Frontend and have a few
> things to suggest. The current Raspbian and MythTV Lite work fine.
>

> As for the segfault try decreaing your GPU memory (gpu_mem) ? to me
> sounds counter-intuitive but the ARM CPU and GPU apparently share 1GB of
> memory ? check /vcgencmd get_mem gpu/ and /vcgencmd get_mem arm/ ?
> increasing one will decrease the other. Off-hand I don?t recall what I
> have my RPi400 configured but a different one with Motion (surveillance
> utility) with two cameras works fine with gpu_mem set at 128 MB and
> starts choking at 256.
>

> What probably won?t matter but I?ll toss in for free advice:
>

> Use a 5 GHz channel connection as 2.4 GHz is noisy and crowded. (I have
> used an RPi3 as a Frontend but only connected via Ethernet as the 2.4
> GHz WiFi had poor results.)
>

> Power supply. This includes the wall wart itself and the cable between.
> You should be seeing the low voltage indicator at the upper right-hand
> corner but I had an issue a while back on a different Pi4 which was
> resolved by swapping a Pi-approved wall wart (5.1v @ 3,000 mA) for a
> Pi-branded wall wart (5.1v @ 3.0A) and the problems went away. (Maybe it
> thought three amps was more than three thousand milliamps. <joke>)
>

> And not sure on this one but have heard some of the microSD cards are
> slow, so using an upper-tier name-brand card over a two-for-a-dollar
> off-brand may help. Also use Class 10?s. As for capacity, I have been
> using 16- and 32 GB units. (Storage to USB or NAS.) Tom?s Hardware had a
> test article (I neglected to keep the link in my notes) which for my
> preferences rated the SanDisk Extreme Pro as ?all-around great
> performance?, the Kingston Canvas React as ?mediocre 4K read/writes? and
> the Samsung Evo Plus as ?good price? and ?fast application open and boot
> time?. (So what did I do at the time? Re-ordered more SanDisk Ultra Plus.)
>

> Barry

Hi Barry and  Stephen,

Thanks for your replies.  Your advice with the GPU memory does seem to have
some effect , I had tried 256M with lots of segfaults - but at 64M it seems
far less frequent.

Regarding my problems with MythMusic as part of the MythTV Light Plugins -
this time I installed the standard Rasberry Pi OS rather than the lite
version. MythMusic now shows and works fine.
It must have been some missing dependency that apt didn't pick up.

On the subject of Music - I'm planning to get an amp for the Pi
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/
And buy a strong PSU to go with it.

I've just got to figure out how to get Myth TV to work with some of the
buttons on my basic usb fake keyboard/mouse remote control.

As the Pi runs without X , these buttons are not recognised by Myth - but
the same remotes all work fine and the buttons are seen in Myths edit keys
when X runs on x86.

I can see the button presses using showkey and evtest  ( KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
KEY_VOLUMEUP  KEY_HOMEPAGE) but trying to set them inside Myth Frontends
Settings->Edit Keys have the error: Pressed Key Not Recognised

Does anyone have any ideas?