[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 10 09:31:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:04:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Am Fr, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:17:48 +0100 schrieb Paul Harrison:
>>Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>>take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
>First thank you all for the great work you’ve done over the years.
>
>I’m a German mythtv user for 13 years (first analogue cable, now
>DVB-S/C).
>The backend is running on my main pc (acting as server), the frontend is
>running on my notebook.
>
>Reading the other comments in this thread I’m not a big mythtv user. I’m
>not using it for images, music or DVD/BD, mythtv is only for TV (only
>recorded events for skipping commercials, not life TV).
>And I seldom record other things than shows (like Bares für Rares) or
>sports (Snooker).
>
>For movies I prefer the original audio with subtitles which isn’t
>available in German TV. So I bought DVD/BD and played them with hardware
>players using a beamer.
>
>But now I’m using mostly streaming services (web browser) instead of
>buying DVD/BD. I’m doubting that I could use the GUI of the streaming
>services better within the frontend.
>

>I can’t say that the backend is working without problems. I’m using
>EPG/EIT provided by DVB-S/C, and there always seem to be slight changes.
>
>With power rules this normally means that a deactivated recording is
>suddenly active again. This is no problem, I can delete the recording.
>
>For one-time recordings without power rules this can mean that I won’t
>get a recording at all. Mythtv is then telling me that the selected show
>is no longer available, but of course it is still there, and if you’re
>fast enough, you can program a new recording.

I think the Record Once ("Record this showing") rules only allow for a
time movement of up to 5 minutes.  It seems you often get larger
changes than that, so you would be better off telling MythTV to
"Record one showing (this episode)", so it will record the episode no
matter what time it is broadcast at.

>It would be nice if you could tell the backend to shorten the time for
>overlapping recordings.
>Example: Snooker is like tennis a game which doesn’t end after a fixed
>time. So my power rule is adding four hours after the official end time.

You can manually add a override rule for a specific instance of a
recording which sets the post roll to a different amount from the rule
that created the recording.

Manage Recordings > Upcoming Recordings > select the recording > Enter
> Add override rule > Schedule Options > End recording x minutes late

Change the x minutes late value to what you want and save the override
rule.  You can also do this from the Guide.

This can also be done while the recording is in progress:

Manage Recordings > Upcoming Recordings > select the recording > Enter
> Modify recording options > Schedule Options > End recording x
minutes late

It is also possible to manually stop a recording, if you happen to be
on the MythTV box and notice that it is going on recording
unnecessarily: