[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at rootsland.net
Thu Jun 10 08:04:40 UTC 2021

Am Fr, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:17:48 +0100 schrieb Paul Harrison:
>Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

First thank you all for the great work you’ve done over the years.

I’m a German mythtv user for 13 years (first analogue cable, now
DVB-S/C).
The backend is running on my main pc (acting as server), the frontend is
running on my notebook.

Reading the other comments in this thread I’m not a big mythtv user. I’m
not using it for images, music or DVD/BD, mythtv is only for TV (only
recorded events for skipping commercials, not life TV).
And I seldom record other things than shows (like Bares für Rares) or
sports (Snooker).

For movies I prefer the original audio with subtitles which isn’t
available in German TV. So I bought DVD/BD and played them with hardware
players using a beamer.

But now I’m using mostly streaming services (web browser) instead of
buying DVD/BD. I’m doubting that I could use the GUI of the streaming
services better within the frontend.

I can’t say that the backend is working without problems. I’m using
EPG/EIT provided by DVB-S/C, and there always seem to be slight changes.

With power rules this normally means that a deactivated recording is
suddenly active again. This is no problem, I can delete the recording.

For one-time recordings without power rules this can mean that I won’t
get a recording at all. Mythtv is then telling me that the selected show
is no longer available, but of course it is still there, and if you’re
fast enough, you can program a new recording.

It would be nice if you could tell the backend to shorten the time for
overlapping recordings.
Example: Snooker is like tennis a game which doesn’t end after a fixed
time. So my power rule is adding four hours after the official end time.

If we have the following schedule:
09:00 - 12:00: First match (the recording is running until 16:00)
14:00 - 16:00: Second match
then we have two recordings on the same channel for two hours.

So while mythtv is a nice thing it isn’t something really critical for
me. If you decide to drop the frontend, I would quite probably drop the
backend as well.
If you can enhance the frontend that it would work really well with all
the possible streaming services, I would certainly try it.

Many greetings,

	Stephan

--
|    If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.    |