[mythtv-users] mac build

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Feb 5 12:48:39 UTC 2021

> On 5 Feb 2021, at 8:11 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John is the git repo clean for all your fiddling (presumably debug, not release hence the debug version)
>
> Fiddling (according to Oxford - annoyingly trivial or petty) would not have been the word I would personally have selected to describe my activity. ...but I guess everyone has a different perspective on life.

I did not mean that, or imply that <smile> I used fiddling in context of very detailed work requiring great skill and patience ie a fiddly job is one where considerable care is required as well as skill to achive a successful outcome. I'm sorry that my venacular conveyed the Oxford meaning.

> I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  I don't have a public git repo at the moment, but I'll try to answer what I believe is your question.
>
> The mythtv fixes/31 github repo currently has the John P suggested fix to MythUIButtonListItem (which fixed your first cutlist issue) committed.
>
> The mythtv packaging github repo's fixes/31 and master branches both have all of my recent updates to the compile script committed (including the fix for my python path error)
>
> The mythtv ansible github repo has all of the latest updates to ansible (including the new user selectable database_vsersion flag committed).
>
> The compile script clones the mythtv github repo at HEAD based on the default for the script or user specified branch. The current script does not have any switches for debug/profile builds so if you are going to compile on your own you'll need to add it to the script's config flags.
>
> v31-016630a35c
> Is mostly working for me, I’d like to build it for High Sierra. Are the fixes John P suggested comitted?
>
> The posted binaries for v31-016630a35c and v31-1aff6fd2db (the latest release) both have the MythUIButtonListItem patch and the python path fix.  v31-1aff6fd2db also has some additional fixes to the metadata grabbers while "might" fix some of your frustrations - or not...
>
> Does your build-script address the python packages oops?
>
> Yes (covered above)
>
> If you are going to build for High Sierra - you will need to build on a High Sierra computer or VM.  Macports likes to only install ports for the macOS version you are running.
>
> Also, if you are running Catalina, you'll do better to build off of a Catalina machine.  There were many graphics performance enhancements in Catalina that will let video playback work better and use less CPU.

I have a 2011 iMac 27. It can't go past Migh Sierra.
So I want a frontend on my catelina macbook and one on the iMac.
But, as you said "covered above" so thanks.

> BTW - I believe the rest of us are waiting on you providing an update on where / how your cutlist editor experience occurs (i.e. responses to Mark's questions in a previous email).

I posted the lldg trace of a crash, and posted that I had been unable to get another. Perhaps fine weather makes even the worst recordings look good. Rain (40 mm tomorrow) so I'll try then.

ciao n thanks
James