[mythtv-users] Help with playback issue on recordings from a single channel

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:13:27 UTC 2021

Vincent:

> I've been living with and frustrated by a problem with recordings from
> my local CBS broadcast channel.
>
> It all started when my local station added a new digital sub-channel.
>   I know this because my problem started on March 1st and a call to the
> station engineer confirmed changes were made to the broadcast signal
> early that Sunday morning. He says, "Everything in this encoding scheme
> is industry standard, so I wouldn't expect there to be any problem
> decoding it with commercial equipment." I'm not technical enough to
> determine what has changed that would give mythtv so much trouble.

It appears the CBS network does a few things differently from other
networks.  Not necessarily wrong, just different.  With the local CBS
channel and watching via television (not via MythTV) if the Closed
Captioning is set for one of the settings other than CC1 (I've forgotten
which one) a big black box will overlay most of the screen.  This does
not occur with any of the other networks/stations (I tested for 'fun').

Not really of any specific help but I'm wondering if perhaps you have a
Closed Captioning option set?  The overlay does not appear on all CBS
programmes.

Also, IIRC VDPAU is for nVidia video cards -- so check correct and
up-to-date.  Also found this old note which could explain your VDPAU issues:

<start quote>

    7. Re: HD Hiomerun works better in HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV (Don
    Brett)