[mythtv-users] FE/BE combo system locking-up

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 21 16:01:52 UTC 2021

On 21/12/2021 13:40, David Watkins wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 21:22, James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> Bob it is the air and dust moving, not some magic property of vacuum
>> cleaners, that generates the static electricity. Think of lightning in a
>> volcano.
>> I use a stiff bush that has (repeatedly) been dipped in water. I know HP
>> wash and dry their boards. This area is difficult and fraught.
>> James
>>

> I have to admit that's something I hadn't thought to worry about.  I
> wouldn't stick a vacuum nozzle inside a computer but my cleaner has a
> 'blow' mode (I'm not sure why) and that's what I've always used.
>
> It's quite powerful so the nozzle will be at least 12" away from the
> components, but I hadn't though about generating static in the air.
>
> I was concerned about how fast it spins up the fans and whether they would
> generate significant voltages, so I stick a cocktail stick in the spokes to
> stop them doing that.   It also makes a lot of dust so I take the computers
> outside which might help a bit with static I suppose (damper air?)
>
> I guess now I know though I'll have to use 'air duster' cans but that's one
> more thing to buy and throw away :-(  I do have a can and the instructions
> are quite emphatic about not tilting it otherwise the propellant can come
> out, which make getting into the crevices of a computer a bit awkward even
> before I've lost the little pipe.

A long while ago I saw an advert for an air duster which could be recharged using a car tyre pump, a
bike track pump or similar. It is possible similar items are available these days.

Of course, I never got one at the time.

FWIW I have never had any problems handling motherboards, memory, disks or anything else electronic.
But then I learned my trade making parts for early satellites and certain defence items, where the
precautions taken were excessive and probably overkill.

These days most electronics, particularly the interface elements such as sockets and pins, is of the
CMOS variety which has a much greater tolerance to static, but I would never take that for granted.

--

Mike Perkins