[mythtv-users] FE/BE combo system locking-up

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:40:17 UTC 2021

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 21:22, James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> Bob it is the air and dust moving, not some magic property of vacuum
> cleaners, that generates the static electricity. Think of lightning in a
> volcano.
> I use a stiff bush that has (repeatedly) been dipped in water. I know HP
> wash and dry their boards. This area is difficult and fraught.
> James

I have to admit that's something I hadn't thought to worry about.  I
wouldn't stick a vacuum nozzle inside a computer but my cleaner has a
'blow' mode (I'm not sure why) and that's what I've always used.

It's quite powerful so the nozzle will be at least 12" away from the
components, but I hadn't though about generating static in the air.

I was concerned about how fast it spins up the fans and whether they would
generate significant voltages, so I stick a cocktail stick in the spokes to
stop them doing that.   It also makes a lot of dust so I take the computers
outside which might help a bit with static I suppose (damper air?)

I guess now I know though I'll have to use 'air duster' cans but that's one
more thing to buy and throw away :-(  I do have a can and the instructions
are quite emphatic about not tilting it otherwise the propellant can come
out, which make getting into the crevices of a computer a bit awkward even
before I've lost the little pipe.