[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 13 05:39:24 UTC 2021

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 23:38:52 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 12, 2021, 8:52 PM Stephen Worthington, <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
>wrote
>
>> <snip>
>> The Nvidia GT1030 does do 4K video, but only at the standard TV level, not
>> high refresh rates.  I imagine that press screening video is likely 4K, but
>> just what it actually is you would know better than me.
>> <snip>
>

>You would think the press screening sites would be 4K but no, highest is
>1080 that I've dealt with. Super quality doesn't matter as you spend the
>whole film with your name and email either watermarked across the middle of
>screen or reappearing in various corners. Don't have any examples, as it's
>also closely guarded and accessed with much legalese. Some are websites
>that only allow Apple or Windows browsers (hence the need to potentially
>use a VM) while some have native Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast apps that wouldn't
>involve the Mythbox at all. (Phew!)

Ah, yes - the marketing people live in an earlier age!  "It works,
no-one has complained about it" when the movies they are promoting are
getting higher and higher tech every year and the studios replace
their entire video rendering server farms with new models every year
or two.

Browser specific requirements can be worked around if it is only about
the browser headers - a lot of browsers allow you to change them.  Or
you can use a proxy to do it.  But when you get the new machine going,
I think you will be very happy just to use a VM.  On my new X570 box,
using systems in a VM does not have the lag/slowness that it used to
on older systems - it is very nice.  I specifically bought 32 Gibytes
of RAM for the PC so that I could run multiple VMs at once whenever I
needed to, and I have been very happy with the results so far - I had
three MythTV systems in VMs at once for testing my mythsgu software,
plus its normal OS/2 VM that runs my email and web server.  I have not
tried a Windows VM yet - I expect it will be a little bit slower than
Linuxes in a VM, but it should still be faster than Windows on my
older Windows PC.  Part of the speed is also being able to run the VMs
from my fast PCIe v4.0 NVMe drive - I got a 1 Tbyte one so having
several VMs on it also is not a problem.