[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Mon Dec 13 02:08:30 UTC 2021

On 12/12/21 12:33 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2021, 2:29 AM Stephen Worthington,
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 19:48:57 -0500, you wrote:
>
>     >Anyone have thoughts on the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4
>     >Motherboard? (
>     >https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20phantom%20Gaming%204/index.asp
>     <https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20phantom%20Gaming%204/index.asp>)
>
>     This looks like a lower end (ie cheaper) X570 motherboard.  Higher
>     end X570 boards can be very expensive, and are likely overkill for
>     a box intended for MythTV only.  But if you are intending to use
>     it for
>     other things too, you might want to look at more expensive options.
>     X570 is great for getting 6+ (8 in this case) SATA ports that all
>     work when using the NVMe slots.  This can be important if you are
>     like me and keep adding more hard drives for more storage.
>
>     I downloaded a copy of the ASRock motherboard's manual and compared it
>     to my new X570 motherboard
>
>      <snip>
>
>     That is all I have noticed - I hope it is some help.
>

> Stephen,
>
> You just wrote an epic novel's worth of insight on a motherboard for
> someone halfway around the world from you. I don't have enough
> superlatives to add to the thank you's.
>
> So many variables to think of. For example, I was originally going to
> run it headless, but if I do use a Windows VM to handle the odd
> Windows only press screening, do I want an MB with onboard graphics or
> a fanless graphics card?
>
> I'm beginning to realize that this isn't a shopping list, it's a
> research project.
>
> Thanks again for your insight.
I'll add a bit here as I recently have been forced to upgrade due to my
current system's demise (it can record without crashing, but no watching
of videos).

I will use my machine as my primary desktop, and MythTV BE/FE.  I did
not want to have to get a graphics card, so I got an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G.
It will drive 4k60 video via HDMI to my TV.  I ended up with an MSI
motherboard (MAG X570S Tomahawk), which seems a good board, with 32Gb of
RAM.  The onboard GPU graphics will use 4Gb in this case.

I think I will be happy with the new system once I get everything
configured.  However I wish I could have done more research.  The board
is okay, but my major complaint is that the fan speeds do not appear to
be monitored on Linux.  They provide software for Windows that can
monitor fan speeds, but nothing on Linux.  I mention that because my 9
year old server is dying because a dead fan on the big CPU heat sink
caused it to overheat (and the CPU temperature monitor on Linux was
similarly useless).

I needed as much room as possible for 3.5" disk drives, and 1 or 2
optical drives, so I ended up with a ridiculously large case.  It has
good ventilation, but my major complaint here is that I wish I could
have found a case that put the power supply on top (like the good ol'
days!).  All of the cases that met my drive space requirement have the
power supply at the base (to accommodate a CPU radiator on top), where
it sucks in air from the underside of the case (at least there is a
filter).  So no sitting it directly on the carpet.

So just a few things I wish I could have researched more.  My original
plan was to upgrade after the new year, when I had time to research
things more carefully.

Enjoy your odyssey.  So many interesting things to look at!