[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade error - mysql8

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:13:12 UTC 2021

  SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'validate_password.policy';

> In my 8.0.27 mysql, the answer is 'Empty set'. Guessing
> yours is 'MEDIUM' or more.

correct - medium

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'validate_password.policy';
+--------------------------+--------+
| Variable_name            | Value  |
+--------------------------+--------+
| validate_password.policy | MEDIUM |
+--------------------------+--------+
1 row in set (0.42 sec)

> Do these two work?
>
>   SET GLOBAL validate_password_policy=LOW;
>   ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';

Unfortunately no:

mysql> SET GLOBAL validate_password_policy=LOW;
ERROR 1193 (HY000): Unknown system variable 'validate_password_policy'
mysql>   ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
ERROR 1819 (HY000): Your password does not satisfy the current policy
requirements

> Can you check all of your MySQL .cnf files? Start with:
>
>   sudo grep --recursive validate_password.policy /etc/mysql

unfortunately null output with "sudo grep --recursive validate_password
/etc/mysql"

> There could be other .cnf's in play, like ~/.my.cnf

I searched all home directories and could find no additional .cnf files.