[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade error - mysql8

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:17:33 UTC 2021

On 12/11/21 11:13 AM, John Hoyt wrote:
> Do these two work?
>
>   SET GLOBAL validate_password.policy=LOW;
>   ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';

Try dot policy where I had an underscore. Fixed above.

I'll note the SET above fails on my server:

  ERROR 1193 (HY000): Unknown system variable 'validate_password.policy'

Mine's the same as yours:
  $ mysql --version
  mysql  Ver 8.0.27-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 for Linux on x86_64 ((Ubuntu))

Another stab at finding a .cnf file:

  sudo updatedb;sudo grep --recursive validate_password /etc/mysql $(locate ".cnf")

And, the Note just above here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-options-variables.html#option_mysqld_validate-password
may be of interest. Do you somehow have the validate_password plugin installed?

When I do: SHOW PLUGINS, I don't have the validate_password one. The link in the Note above
also mentions the validate_plugin being deprecated and replaces by a component of the same
name.

--
Bill