[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:40:59 UTC 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 2:33 PM Mary Strimel <mary.strimel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I built a BE/FE a few months ago. I cared about wake-on-lan and luckily
> the Gigabyte B550M DS3H that I got supports it. I got an AMD quad core
> Ryzen 3 pro 4350g with integrated graphics. All seems to work fine. My only
> regret is that I got a non-stock CPU fan that turned out both larger, and
> louder, than the original. The stock AMD fan cannot be replaced after
> removal, so don't put it on until you're really sure!
> I guess my other regret is I don't love Fedora, but it was the only OS
> that seemed to support digital optical out from my sound card.
> Have fun shopping the sales.

You mean you can't put the stock fan back on unless you have thermal paste
right? They certainly aren't single use or anything. And for a backend
you're not pushing hard the stock cooler should be fine.

My BE (used to be combined FE/BE but I now use Plex via Roku for my FE) is
a Ryzen 5 3600 on a Gigabyte A370 MB w/ 16GB ram. Works fine, probably
overkill, but it's what I had available.

My drive setup is a little more interesting...
Samsung EVO 500GB NVME (on the MB obviously) for the system drive.
2TB HDD for recordings
4x4TB Seagate Terascale drives in BTRFS RAID 1 array for media

The plan is to stay in RAID 1 for now until I fill it up, then I plan to
convert to RAID 5 on-the-fly. I figure the longer I wait the better BTRFS
will be. I do have the array being automatically scrubbed and balanced
monthly.

Thanks,
Richard