[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:32:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 2:45 PM Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/2021 11:31 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> > Late 2020, I had a thread "Slightly OT: Powering up remotely" that
> > discussed an issue with my mythtv box at home while I was in
> > self-imposed quarantine outside the city.
> >
> > Long story short, I made it back in yesterday and instead of
> > confronting a system waiting for some drive prompt as we thought, it
> > looks like the power supply had called it quits after a decade.
> >
> > Of course, I'm deciding that I might want to build a modern system as
> > the old combo  front/backend was limited in speed and memory.
> >
> > As I peruse possible holiday sales, I wanted to pick yer brains.
> >
> > - Will be a backend only, probably using Shield/Chromecast as frontend
> > - most of the budget will be for at least a couple of 12+ TB NAS
> > drives for recordings/video library
> > - AMD? Intel? Speed? Cores?
> > - motherboard suggestions? Perhaps an NVME for OS/database, but enough
> > SATA connections for possible expansion past two storage drives.
> > - case: current case is just over a foot tall. Limited bays. Would
> > like a case that can hold at least four 3.5 inch drives.
> >
> > If anyone has built a backend lately, I'd love to hear your choices.
> >
> > Thanks!

> I recently rebuilt my desktop with a new MB.  You mentioned powering up
> remotely in your post.  One thing I have noticed is that the ethernet
> adapters that are built into the MBs now no longer seem to support wake
> on LAN (WOL).  The ethernet chips do (they advertise it) and you can set
> it (via ethtool), but it has no effect (I don't think the chip is wired
> up to implement it).  This is a detail that is hard to determine before
> you purchase.  I also needed a kernel > = 5.10 to work with the newer
> ethernet chips (Ubuntu 20.04.1 + HWE).
> I like my old SilverStone case.  The MediaPC case I am using now is
> smaller (not as deep) which is a plus, but room for only 3 drives with
> little air flow for them.  When I do my next rebuild, I will go back to
> my old SilverStone case.
> Jay

I built a BE/FE a few months ago. I cared about wake-on-lan and
luckily the Gigabyte
B550M DS3H that I got supports it. I got an AMD quad core Ryzen 3 pro 4350g
with integrated graphics. All seems to work fine. My only regret is that I
got a non-stock CPU fan that turned out both larger, and louder, than the
original. The stock AMD fan cannot be replaced after removal, so don't put
it on until you're really sure!
I guess my other regret is I don't love Fedora, but it was the only OS that
seemed to support digital optical out from my sound card.
Have fun shopping the sales.