[mythtv-users] problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 9 06:50:12 UTC 2021

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 00:18:25 -0500, you wrote:

>Thank you Stephen,
>
>I did the sudo su, and in the root home directory there already was a link
>to config.xml  - must be done automagically because I don't recall
>explicitly setting that. Anyway, I did the dpkg--reconfigure step while
>root and this time it worked, however it wasn't what I expected, it brought
>up the interface asking for root username and the root password, which I
>entered, but is not the same as the mythtv username or password that's in
>the config file. Then it asked if other machines were going to connect and
>I entered 'yes' and that was it, after about 10 seconds it was done.
>
>I took a look at the mysql error logs, and there's no entries from today,
>and yesterday's log file was just a few messages about initializing being
>successful and ready for connection, but no mention of any connection
>failures.

That is all as expected.  I think it probably used the root username
and password to do a root access to MySQL - bypassing the normal MySQL
username/password authentication and using the root user's ultimate
access to everything.

>Kinda a mystery to me, but either way MythTV seems to be working OK.
>Although I do occasionally have failures relating to it not having enough
>buffers when I change channels or enter into live TV. Anyway, I doubt
>that's related to this.

"Not enough buffers" is something that should be fixable - what
exactly is the problem?  What log messages do you see?