[mythtv-users] problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 05:18:25 UTC 2021

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:46:47 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Was running updates today as my non-mythtv regular username, with sudo
> >access of course, and when it was updating the database it gave me the
> >following error:
> >
> >Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
> >ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> >password: NO)
> >
> >I was using the command-line this time as previous updates have broken my
> >video driver (I guess) and so can't run KDE on this backend right now. So,
> >not sure if this happens when I use the graphical style daily update
> >methods, but it is generally run as my own user with sudo access too.
> >
> >Anyway, have been having odd issues here and there, and wonder if I've
> been
> >missing out on database updates this whole time because root is not able
> >connect?
> >
> >What's the right way to solve this? I've been under the impression that
> you
> >shouldn't muck with databases as user root, so don't think I've ever set
> it
> >to have access to mythconverg, but also didn't know that the update
> >mechanism required it...
> >
> >Thanks for any thoughts,
> >

> >-- George
>
> If a root config.xml is really required, the easiest thing to do would
> be to create a link from /root/.mythtv/config.xml to
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml:
>
> sudo su
> cd /root/mythtv
> ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> exit
>
> But I thought that the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file was used when
> MythTV programs were run from root.  So maybe it is a packaging
> problem.  Anyway, to fix the existing situation, create the link and
> then you may need to manually run:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>
> But I think that mythbackend will automatically do schema updates if
> necessary when it starts up, so you should be up to date despite the
> error messages.

Thank you Stephen,

I did the sudo su, and in the root home directory there already was a link
to config.xml  - must be done automagically because I don't recall
explicitly setting that. Anyway, I did the dpkg--reconfigure step while
root and this time it worked, however it wasn't what I expected, it brought
up the interface asking for root username and the root password, which I
entered, but is not the same as the mythtv username or password that's in
the config file. Then it asked if other machines were going to connect and
I entered 'yes' and that was it, after about 10 seconds it was done.

I took a look at the mysql error logs, and there's no entries from today,
and yesterday's log file was just a few messages about initializing being
successful and ready for connection, but no mention of any connection
failures.

Kinda a mystery to me, but either way MythTV seems to be working OK.
Although I do occasionally have failures relating to it not having enough
buffers when I change channels or enter into live TV. Anyway, I doubt
that's related to this.

Thanks,

George