[mythtv-users] Kodi and MythTV, can't watch LiveTV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 06:09:00 UTC 2021

Posted this on the Kodi forum yesterday, but I figured I would have
more luck with actual mythtv regulars.

---
Hi.

Just installed Kodi on a Fire TV 4K ; all working well when it comes
to browser recordings, watch one, create a new recordings etc.
But no go with LiveTV.

Playback starts, I have a picture showing and a tiny bit of audio and
then it exists.

I tried running Kodi on a macOS device and I see the exact same behaviour.

It's a rather old backend installation (mythtv 29) but upgrading that
would be a headache and I haven't tinkered with mythTV in a while.

In the Kodi logs I see no particular errors:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ozuboxeval.kodi
But I'm no expert in Kodi, I've virtually only installed it less than
one hour ago.

On the mythtv backend I see nothing indicating an error, just that a
new frontend connected, a recording was started and then got
immediately closed.
https://paste.kodi.tv/yifayoworo
(now for mythtv however I do know the backend code pretty well and
it's definitely the frontend that disconnect, not the backend kicking
it out).

Sometimes in Kodi logs I do see this line:
ERROR <general>: SignalQuality: Add-on 'MythTV
(mediaserver.surrey1.avenard.org):http://192.168.10.14:6544' returned
an error: rejected by the backend

but there's nothing indicating as such on the mythtv side, just that
the client (kodi) disconnected.

If I start a recording of the channel I'm trying to watch, I can
immediately start watching that recording.

Just LiveTV gives this behaviour

Now this is a log when watching LiveTV with a real mythfrontend
https://paste.kodi.tv/esodezipac

We can see that there's a few connection/disconnection happening
before playback starts, which is curious.

Any ideas?

Am I using a too old version of mythtv-backend?