[mythtv-users] V31 install-adding user to mythtv group

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 14:56:47 UTC 2020

> On Mar 7, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/03/2020 13:12, James Abernathy wrote:
>> There have been a lot of things fixed in mythtv v31. However, I noticed that on a fresh install of v31 on Ubuntu 18.04 that the mythtv-setup ask you to logout after it adds your user to the mythtv group.  I still find the logout doesn’t solve you getting past this requirement on mythtv-setup.
>>
>> I find I have to reboot, but if that’s the case, then maybe the instructions should not say logout???
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Just tried with fixes/31 on Ubuntu 18.04  with minimal install in a vm (virtualbox) and logout and login again works for me, no reboot required.
>
> It also worked recently on a daily build of Xubuntu 20.04 and Xubuntu 18.04 bare metal installs (no vm).
> Can you provide any more details on your procedure ?
>
> I install as follows:
>
> Install operating system from .iso, make sure it up to date, usually needs a reboot (kernel update is likely).
>
> add ppa:mythbuntu/31
>
> install mythtv
>
> run mythtv-setup (either from menu or terminal)
> logout
>
> run mythtv-setup (again from menu or terminal).
>
> All of the above is done locally.
>

> Mike

This sounds just like I did just now but I install xmltv prior to running mythtv-setup the first time. I also confirmed in /etc/group that “jim” was in the mythtv after I logged out and back in.
Still hit me with the need to be added to the group the setup time I ran mythtv-setup. I ran it from the terminal and there was a message in the terminal that jim was already part of the group mythtv.

So who knows.

Jim A