[mythtv-users] V31 install-adding user to mythtv group

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 09:23:55 UTC 2020

On 07/03/2020 14:56, James Abernathy wrote:

>> On Mar 7, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com
>> <mailto:mike.bibbings at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/03/2020 13:12, James Abernathy wrote:
>>> There have been a lot of things fixed in mythtv v31. However, I
>>> noticed that on a fresh install of v31 on Ubuntu 18.04 that the
>>> mythtv-setup ask you to logout after it adds your user to the mythtv
>>> group.  I still find the logout doesn’t solve you getting past this
>>> requirement on mythtv-setup.
>>>
>>> I find I have to reboot, but if that’s the case, then maybe the
>>> instructions should not say logout???
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> Just tried with fixes/31 on Ubuntu 18.04  with minimal install in a
>> vm (virtualbox) and logout and login again works for me, no reboot
>> required.
>>
>> It also worked recently on a daily build of Xubuntu 20.04 and Xubuntu
>> 18.04 bare metal installs (no vm).
>>
>> Can you provide any more details on your procedure ?
>>
>> I install as follows:
>>
>> Install operating system from .iso, make sure it up to date, usually
>> needs a reboot (kernel update is likely).
>>
>> add ppa:mythbuntu/31
>>
>> install mythtv
>>
>> run mythtv-setup (either from menu or terminal)
>>
>> logout
>>
>> run mythtv-setup (again from menu or terminal).
>>
>> All of the above is done locally.
>>

>> Mike
>>

> This sounds just like I did just now but I install xmltv prior to
> running mythtv-setup the first time. I also confirmed in /etc/group
> that “jim” was in the mythtv after I logged out and back in.
> Still hit me with the need to be added to the group the setup time I
> ran mythtv-setup. I ran it from the terminal and there was a message
> in the terminal that jim was already part of the group mythtv.
>
> So who knows.
>
> Jim A

"...terminal that jim was already part of the group mythtv" is
interesting as it indicates the logout did not happen properly.

There is an old report relating to this using Ubuntu on 18.04 rather
than Xubuntu with xfce (some processes not exiting and being reused).

see
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1045993/after-adding-a-group-logoutlogin-is-not-enough-in-18-04

Mike