[mythtv-users] V31 install-adding user to mythtv group

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 14:11:45 UTC 2020

On 07/03/2020 13:12, James Abernathy wrote:
> There have been a lot of things fixed in mythtv v31. However, I
> noticed that on a fresh install of v31 on Ubuntu 18.04 that the
> mythtv-setup ask you to logout after it adds your user to the mythtv
> group.  I still find the logout doesn’t solve you getting past this
> requirement on mythtv-setup.
>
> I find I have to reboot, but if that’s the case, then maybe the
> instructions should not say logout???
>
> Jim A

Just tried with fixes/31 on Ubuntu 18.04  with minimal install in a vm
(virtualbox) and logout and login again works for me, no reboot required.

It also worked recently on a daily build of Xubuntu 20.04 and Xubuntu
18.04 bare metal installs (no vm).

Can you provide any more details on your procedure ?

I install as follows:

Install operating system from .iso, make sure it up to date, usually
needs a reboot (kernel update is likely).

add ppa:mythbuntu/31

install mythtv

run mythtv-setup (either from menu or terminal)

logout

run mythtv-setup (again from menu or terminal).

All of the above is done locally.

Mike