[mythtv-users] Understanding Schedules Direct change in V0.31

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 2 22:44:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-02 10:27 a.m., Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 02/04/2020 15:01, Ian Evans wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020, 9:48 AM James Abernathy, <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Christopher X. Candreva
>>     <chris at westnet.com <mailto:chris at westnet.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         Relatively simple question: Do I understand correctly that,
>>         when I upgrade
>>         my setup to V0.31 , I will need to go through the manual steps
>>         outlined in
>>         https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Schedules_Direct_Setup to
>>         enable the
>>         Schedules Direct XMLTV ? Obtain the grabbers, run from command
>>         line, this
>>         isn't included in the packaging (Fedora / RPM Fusion) or
>>         mythtvsetup as of
>>         yet ?
>>
>>         There is no judgement intended, I just want to know how much
>>         time to
>>         schedule around the upgrade. Thank you for all the hard work
>>         you do !
>>

>>     In my opinion, The instructions at the top of the Mythtv XMLTV
>>     page is accurate as to installing the things needed for XMLTV,
>>     certainly for Ubuntu/Debian based systems. If your Distro doesn't
>>     have some old version of XMLTV available as a package, then you
>>     may have a lot of perl packages that are required to be installed.
>>     Manually installing all of XMLTV from the git is easy, except if
>>     you have to get all those little Perl pieces together.  I'd set
>>     aside 30 minutes for all the googling you'll need to do the find
>>     your distro's package for the perl lib you're missing. Git readme
>>     should help.
>>
>>     Next I'd use tv_grab_xx_sdjson_sqlite.  It seems to be very
>>     flexible and for me easy.  The time consuming part is yes/no on
>>     each of the channels you want for your Zipcode.
>>
>>     THE KEY is to do all the XMLTV setup stuff as user 'mythtv'
>>
>>     Jim A
>>

>> Is it possible to grab lineups from multiple zipcodes?
>>
>> I have a couple of channels (Bloomberg, France24 English language
>> news) set up via the HLS recorder. In the non-XMLTV SD setup, I have a
>> Toronto postal code for the Toronto/Buffalo OTA listings and a NYC
>> cable zipcode to get the schedules for the two HLS channels.
>>
>> Can the XMLTV setup handle that and would I have to say 'NO' to
>> hundreds of cable channels just to get those two? In the web interface
>> I was just able to deselect all and just choose the two I needed.
>>

> Schedules Direct xmltv (json service) allows up to 4 lineups  at any one
> time, you just need to select which lineup to use for each Videosource
> during the grabber configuration.
>
> Note you can select either lineups or channels during configuration. If
> using channels you have the choice of which channels , for
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson the default is "no" as you step through (so just CR
> needed, until you get to a channel you want, then type yes). If using a
> lineup you get all channels in that lineup.

Just to be clear. If you have different sources to will create each
source in Video Sources, and end up with separate .xmltv files in
/home/mythtv/.mythtv (or tables in the sqlite version I suppose).
I have three sources: OTA for Buffalo, using zip 14176, GTA for Toronto,
using M5C2K5 for the other antenna and Rogers for cable listings.

Note that you can see ALL of them in the channel editor when you are done.