[mythtv-users] V30 frontend on Raspberry PI3 B+

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:10:02 UTC 2019

On 1/30/19 7:52 AM, Jack McGee wrote:
> On 1/29/19 4:42 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>
>> I also never watch LiveTV (except the Dallas Cowboys game a few weeks
>> back).  *But*, I have 2 Shield's in the house running Kodi with the
>> MythTV PVR Plugin that watch LiveTV all day long practically.  Never
>> an issue in over a year, so I cannot say LiveTV does not work, just
>> in certain configurations I would obviously say :)
>>

> Another datapoint. I have a Intel PC with NVidia card that will not do
> Live TV without major stuttering. It will also not watch a recording
> in progress.
> The same machine, running Kodi Mythtv PVR does both live and in
> progress recordings fine.
>
> I also have a Raspberry PI running Mythtv Frontend. It will do live TV
> and recordings in progress.

I went back to test my RP3b+ on Stretch 9 with mythtv-frontend v30 and
tested my deal breaker test, news crawl.  I was watching on my Nvidia
Shield TV mythfrontend v30 983 and saw during a time shifted recording
of the CBS this morning program that they were using the local crawl a
lot due to the weather. So I stopped Shield and switched over to the
RP3B+ and watched the same recorded section. It has a staccato like
pace. Over a second it will be in sync, but during the second it will
make micro jumps that are a little random. It's watchable and  better
than v29.1 but still not as good as the Shield or a PC with Nvidia GFX
card.

The NUC I had on V29 was just as bad as the RP3B+, but on V30 the NUC is
smooth like the Shield.

So comparing cost and function, I'm on the Shield TV for a long time.  I
like having one frontend that can do perfect Mythtv-Frontend, Kodi,
SlingTV, Prime Video, FOXon-the GO. HDHR viewer, etc.

And with the Harmony Smart Control Hub and remote I can program the same
hardware function, the Shield, with multiple activities with completely
different key functions.

Time for me to find something else for the RP3 to do.

Jim A