[mythtv-users] 29.1 is good, but setup gui's went backwards

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sat Jan 19 15:09:42 UTC 2019

 ---- On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:32:40 +0000 John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
 >

 >  > On 18 Jan 2019, at 5:38 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
 >  >
 >  > ?I upgraded to 29.1 and the setup in general went well.?For the first time i was able to carry over my sql database and not start from scratch (my issue not mythtv's)The bind address and pin code for the database was a little hassle to get a remote frontend working, but ok.
 >  >
 >  > The biggest thing im surprised at was the redesign of setup gui dialog's.It appears its being setup for a vertical phone screen so a user can swipe it top to bottom.But im just finding it hard to really find settings that care about. I used to know where they were on the screen. I thought the organization of the settings was well.Now i feel like im looking at huge drop down's and my setting is hidden somewhere in the list of options.I feel like every option screen looks the same. Overall i feel like this is a regress in functionality.Im pretty experienced with the settings, but if i was a new user this setup would be frustrating to find anything.I dont know is this dependent on the theme?
 >  >
 >  > It's hard in general to complain about myth since its been rock solid for so long.
 >
 >  I agree! In my derogatotry way I have used the words “mobile phone set” to describe UI choices, but two important items:.
 >
 >  1) The developers work on things and in ways that gives them satisfaction.
 >  2) Do most users think this is kewl, or they prefer the old UI?
 >
 > Sorry you guys don't like it, but the old UI is gone.  It was way to hard to maintain.  It was also a nightmare for "themers".
 >
 > The new UI is somewhat theme dependent, but not significantly.  A default layout is provided by MythTV and then the theme can tweak it -- to a point.  For the most part, all the themes just use the default layout but with some adjustments to match the themes color scheme.  The only theme (that I know of) which tries to be at all different are the various incarnations of Steppes, but even it probably will not alleviate your complaints.
 > John

i dont think it's about reverting or the fact it's updated (especially when it gives the devs and easier life) but the change in how the interface worked - the way it's structured with sub-pages seems 'off'
for example, I've found its far too easy to go back to the previous page without saving settings. i think it's a familiarity thing for me. i simply dont use mythtv-setup enough to quickly adjust to the new structure. possibly down to how it handles ESC/back arrow. i *think* ESC works like 'cancel' in the new interface, but ESC worked like next/previous in the old.
I could be wrong on that - it's been a while but it's something along the lines of that.

on the whole, i do prefer the new design.
dont take this as a complaint, but constructive feedback :)