[mythtv-users] 29.1 is good, but setup gui's went backwards

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:32:40 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 18 Jan 2019, at 5:38 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> >

> > ?I upgraded to 29.1 and the setup in general went well.?For the first
> time i was able to carry over my sql database and not start from scratch
> (my issue not mythtv's)The bind address and pin code for the database was a
> little hassle to get a remote frontend working, but ok.
> >
> > The biggest thing im surprised at was the redesign of setup gui
> dialog's.It appears its being setup for a vertical phone screen so a user
> can swipe it top to bottom.But im just finding it hard to really find
> settings that care about. I used to know where they were on the screen. I
> thought the organization of the settings was well.Now i feel like im
> looking at huge drop down's and my setting is hidden somewhere in the list
> of options.I feel like every option screen looks the same. Overall i feel
> like this is a regress in functionality.Im pretty experienced with the
> settings, but if i was a new user this setup would be frustrating to find
> anything.I dont know is this dependent on the theme?
> >
> > It's hard in general to complain about myth since its been rock solid
> for so long.
>
> I agree! In my derogatotry way I have used the words “mobile phone set” to
> describe UI choices, but two important items:.
>
> 1) The developers work on things and in ways that gives them satisfaction.
> 2) Do most users think this is kewl, or they prefer the old UI?

Sorry you guys don't like it, but the old UI is gone.  It was way to hard
to maintain.  It was also a nightmare for "themers".

The new UI is *somewhat* theme dependent, but not significantly.  A default
layout is provided by MythTV and then the theme can tweak it -- to a
point.  For the most part, all the themes just use the default layout but
with some adjustments to match the themes color scheme.  The only theme
(that I know of) which tries to be at all different are the various
incarnations of Steppes, but even it probably will not alleviate your
complaints.

John