[mythtv-users] mythfrontend - android (Shield (androidTV) only maybe)

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:48:40 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:19:33PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > When turning off my TV (I leave my Shield always on) and mythfrontend is
> > running on my Shield and turn it back on later, it is always a black
> > screen.  Pressing Home and restarting mythfrontend fixes it, but also if
> > wait between 5 and 10 minutes, it also comes back eventually.
> >
> > Anyone else experience it this way?  I know others have posted about it
> > stopping completely whereas other apps will remember position and menu
> > location, etc since Android is multi-task capable nowadays in userspace.
> > Are there plans to accommodate that in mythfrontend?  Not a nag - just
> > wondering - I will always be watching Mythfrontend 99% of the time, but
> the
> > black screen and a full restart of mythfrontend seems odd when it was
> > running when I turn off the TV.
>
> This is a known problem that has proven to be incredibly hard to
> debug.  Qt tries very hard to hide all things Android from MythTV.  As
> best as I can tell, when MythTV goes into the background, Qt stops
> handling some things.  When MythTV is brought back to the foreground,
> Qt then spins at 100% CPU usage until it catches back up.  That's
> what's happening when the screen is black.
>
> The problem is exacerbated when MythTV is left on the Watch Recordings
> screen.  That leads me to belive that event processing plays a big
> role in the problem.  MythTV recieves and processes a lot of events on
> that screen.  Unfortunately, all attempts so far to narrow down the problem
> have failed.
>
> David
>
> > I have CEC completely off on all of my devices, "Keep SHIELD awake on TV
> > input switch" and "Play comfort noise on HDMI" enabled on the shield.
>
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

I'm not sure if it helps track anything down, but last night I went to
sleep with he Shield playing TV and just turned the TV off.  When I woke up
this morning, there was a message on the screen that video failed waiting
on buffers, but the Shield was on and immediately responsive.  I guess it
was on an OpenGL screen there though..?

First time I did not need to wait or restart mythfrontend to get it to play
nice.