[mythtv-users] mythfrontend - android (Shield (androidTV) only maybe)

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jan 15 18:37:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:19:33PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> When turning off my TV (I leave my Shield always on) and mythfrontend is
> running on my Shield and turn it back on later, it is always a black
> screen.  Pressing Home and restarting mythfrontend fixes it, but also if I
> wait between 5 and 10 minutes, it also comes back eventually.
>
> Anyone else experience it this way?  I know others have posted about it
> stopping completely whereas other apps will remember position and menu
> location, etc since Android is multi-task capable nowadays in userspace.
> Are there plans to accommodate that in mythfrontend?  Not a nag - just
> wondering - I will always be watching Mythfrontend 99% of the time, but the
> black screen and a full restart of mythfrontend seems odd when it was
> running when I turn off the TV.

This is a known problem that has proven to be incredibly hard to
debug.  Qt tries very hard to hide all things Android from MythTV.  As
best as I can tell, when MythTV goes into the background, Qt stops
handling some things.  When MythTV is brought back to the foreground,
Qt then spins at 100% CPU usage until it catches back up.  That's
what's happening when the screen is black.

The problem is exacerbated when MythTV is left on the Watch Recordings
screen.  That leads me to belive that event processing plays a big
role in the problem.  MythTV recieves and processes a lot of events on
that screen.  Unfortunately, all attempts so far to narrow down the problem
have failed.

David

--
David Engel