[mythtv-users] Recording failure.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:09:28 UTC 2019

Now twice I have had a recording failure where every recording after that
time fails.  The first time I thought the HDHR Power Supply might be bad so
I replaced it. This time I had failures on HDHR1 and HDHR3 so I think that
rules out a single point of failure involving the HDHR.  The other symptom
was that the IR remote did not work.

One thing in common is that both of these are initialized in rc.local.

*echo -n 15  > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold*
*hdhomerun_config 10137DC1 set /ir/target "192.168.1.111:5000
<http://192.168.1.111:5000> no_clear"*
*#this is a hack.  I don't know what is starting lircd*
*killall lircd*
*lircd -H udp -d 5000*
*exit 0*

I know rc.local is out of favor but I am old school and it worked 10 years
ago so I just used it again when I upgraded my system this year.

The failure is first evidenced in the backend log with this entry

*Jan 15 23:35:00 NewMyth mythbackend: mythbackend[1183]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3686 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency*
*Jan 15 23:35:03 NewMyth mythbackend: mythbackend[1183]: E TVRecEvent
recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:382 (TunerGet) HDHRSH(10137DC1-0): Get
request failed#012#011#011#011eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)*
And then a series of error messages and repeats of the "Resource
temporarily unavailable"

The scheduled recording the next morning failed as well and as that is my
wife's morning show, I was summoned to fix it which I did by restarting the
computer but not the HDHRs.

The IR remote works through the HDHR so that seems to be the common
element. I am guessing it is resetting or at least losing the connection
that is initialized by the rc.local script.

I am considering adding the config to a cron job and running that before my
wife's show starts but is there something else I might do? Suggestions
welcome.

Allen