[mythtv-users] Issue - MythtvFrontend Nvidia Shield Audio Pass fuzz

Jon Boehm jon.s.boehm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:29:45 UTC 2019

HOORAY PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Peter -- Please add the following Nvidia Shield Setting to your Digital
pass through documentation.  You might label it as optional if people have
problems locking the correct codec.  The problem may be exclusive to older
receivers.

Michael, John, Tim, James - All of you have talked about audio problems
recently with the Nvidia Shield in this or parallel threads.  Investigate
the feature below.  It might solve your problem.

I've solved my issue with my older receiver not locking on to the correct
audio codec when starting a new recording and sometime after a commercial
skip in the middle of a recording.  In these instances I get no audio other
people have report similar odd behavior.  A pause/play or a skip fixes the
issue but its very annoying.   After turning off the following Nvidia
Shield Setting (not in Mythtv) everything is working correctly.   Note that
the very first time using MythTV after the change I got odd behavior.  You
might need to restart MythTV or even the Nvidia Shield.

settings -> Display and Sound -> Advanced -> Play comfort noise on HDMI ->
OFF

Use this option to en/dis playback of inaudible comfort noise on HDMI when
no audio is present

Not really sure what the setting does but turning it off fixed my issue.
There must be something non-standard with the way MythTV integrates with
Nvidia Shield audio that causes issues.  No other apps I've used have had
issues.

Hope this helps others,
Jon