[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 22:06:48 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Allen!
>
> I looked at the specs on the 1609 and there is nothing useful there so you
> just have to try it I guess.
>
> If the tuner doesn't work, try a high gain antenna. Try different
> directions. You might find a reflected path that is strong and doesn't have
> trees in the way.
>
> Good luck. I would be interested to see how works out.
>
> It will be a little while before I put together the new Backend –
> hopefully in the Spring. I know can add the 1609 to the current Backend,
> due to the aging of that motherboard I prefer to start fresh.
>
> And if I may pick your brain again, what is considered a ‘high gain
> antenna’? One I am currently using is an AntennasDirect DB2E; from the data
> sheet:
>

> Performance Data:
>
>     Peak Gain:     11.8 dBi     @ 698 MHz
>
>     VSWR:             3.0 Max     470 MHz to 698 MHz
>

> Next section lists ‘Boresight Gain’ (whatever that is)
>
>     470 MHz        9.06 dBi
>
>     546                  9.92
>
>     622                 10.9
>
>     698                 11.73
>

> Local stations:
>
> WHBF     “ 4”     RF 4         69 MHz (midpoint)                Bettendorf
> Ant.Farm (3 mi)
>
> KWQC     “ 6”    RF 36     605 MHz     1000 KW ERP     Orion Ant. Farm (18
> mi)
>
> WQAD     “ 8”    RF 38     617 MHz     1000 KW ERP     Orion Ant. Farm (18
> mi)
>
> KLJB     “18”     RF 49     683 MHz     1000 KW ERP     Orion Ant. Farm
> (18 mi)
>
> WQPT   “24”     RF 23     527 MHz         80 KW ERP     Orion Ant. Farm
> (18 mi)
>
> KQIN     “36”     RF 35     599 MHz       368 KW ERP     Orion Ant. Farm
> (18 mi)
>

> Ignoring the VHF station which I could probably use a wet toothpick as an
> antenna in general the weakest station (WQPT) I have the most problem
> receiving; the highest frequency station (KLJB) also can give lots of
> pixelation. Again the windier it is the higher the probability of a
> chopped-up recording.
>
> I’m not expecting a definitive answer but perhaps you or someone sees
> something I don’t because I don’t have the training and so give guidance.
> As Dad said, I know enough to be dangerous! <g>
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Barry

The performance of that antenna for WHBF is probably close to your wet
noodle which is probably a good thing as it is so close and could otherwise
overload any preamp. This antenna has about 10dB gain where you care and is
similar to the Winegard I linked. If it meets those specs it is probably
fine. That same company makes a DB4 which has about 14dB gain.  The
boresight bain is the gain on axis so where your antenna is pointing.

Did you say the antennas are in the attic?  There is a trend around here to
have roofing plywood with aluminum on it.  If you have that definitely move
the antenna up on the roof. You would also benefit by adding height so if I
followed this thread correctly I would get a pole and chimney mount or post
mount and get the thing out of the attic.

Allen