[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 16:11:19 UTC 2019

Hi Allen!

> The performance of that antenna for WHBF is probably close to your wet
> noodle which is probably a good thing as it is so close and could otherwise
> overload any preamp. This antenna has about 10dB gain where you care and is
> similar to the Winegard I linked. If it meets those specs it is probably
> fine. That same company makes a DB4 which has about 14dB gain.  The
> boresight bain is the gain on axis so where your antenna is pointing.
>
> Did you say the antennas are in the attic?  There is a trend around here to
> have roofing plywood with aluminum on it.  If you have that definitely move
> the antenna up on the roof. You would also benefit by adding height so if I
> followed this thread correctly I would get a pole and chimney mount or post
> mount and get the thing out of the attic.

Thanks for the info – FWIW Winegard’s Burlington, IA, facility is about
80 miles SSW of me – trivia for the Small World Dep’t.

The DB2 antenna specs are listed as “range of 1-30 miles and high gain
of up to 11.4 dBi”. Next line says “multi-directional (pulls in signals
from many directions)” which from the thread discussions could be
causing multipath problems when windy. OTOH could be signal disruption
as the poor electronics go on a roller coaster ride to get here The
‘performance data’ and ‘boresight gain’ were extracted from the DB2
antenna’s detailed spec sheet.

And yes, the antennae are in the attic. I don’t think there is any
aluminum in the sheathing nor other than the flashing. Have tested with
the antenna outside on the deck and did not make any difference. Well,
no difference as far as signal reception; there were ‘relationship
differences’ ==> “how long is _that_going to be outside?!”. <whimper!>
So appears to be no Faraday Cage issues.

Barry